MONUMENT

Le Moulin de la Galette

75-77 rue Lepic - 75018 Paris Montmartre - La Chapelle
The Moulin de la Galette (Galette Mill) was first evoked in 1622 under the name of the Moulin du Palais (Palais Mill). It entered into the possession of the Debray family in 1809 and was used to produce flour. In 1870 it was transformed into an outdoor dance hall like the neighbouring Radet mill. The Debray family therefore decided just to keep one single mill: their choice fell on the 'butte-à-fin' that shortly after took the name of the Moulin de la Galette.
Much frequented by artists, it is famous for having been painted by Renoir, 'Le Bal du Moulin de la Galette' but, was also an inspiration for Toulouse-Lautrec and Picasso. With the Moulin Radet, this is the last survivor of the thirty mills which formerly decorated the Montmartre hill. It's also the only mill in perfect working condition. The interior can't be visited - you can only catch a glimpse of it from a certain distance on rue Lepic, as it is placed up high.

:

Situated on jointly-owned private property the Galette Mill may only be observed from the rue Lepic.

:

24/7. Only visible from outside.

:
  • Ascension Day
  • 15 August
  • 25 December
  • 1 January
  • 14 July
  • 1 May
  • 8 May
  • 11 November

Map

Map
Address
75-77 rue Lepic
75018 Paris
Public transportation
(M)
12Lamarck-Caulaincourt
(B)
80Damremont - Caulaincourt