Place du Tertre - 75018 Paris
Montmartre - La Chapelle
Here, folklore is in full swing, between the restaurant terraces and asels belonging to the artists who share 140 spaces, giving 1 m² for two artists working alternately. But the village's historical square is definitely worth seeing. In 1790, the commune of Montmartre first established it's town hall at no.3; and the Vieux Montmartre association was founded in 1920 at no.19. The Chez la mère Catherine cafe saw the birth of the word bistro in 1814. 'Bystro', (meaning 'quick' in Russian) was what the Russian soldiers used to shout in a hurry to down a drink before joining their ranks, 'a drink!' heard the waitresses. The adjacent Eglise Saint-Pierre de Montmartre has Roman remains from the Abbaye des Dames.