Boulevard Saint-Martin - 75010 Paris
République - Gares de l'Est et du Nord
Built in 1674, on Boulevard Saint-Martin, on the site of the former city wall of Charles V, this triumphal arch is a tribute to Louis XIV and his victories in Franche-Comté and Limbourg. The Porte Saint-Martin is the work of the architect Pierre Bullet and stands 18-metres-high. In the surrounding district are several concert halls and theatres, like the Théâtre de la Porte Saint-Martin inaugurated in 1781, and the Théâtre du Splendid and Théâtre de la Renaissance, which programme comedy plays. An unusual place to stroll or stop off for something to eat and drink is the nearby Passage Brady, which has many Indian restaurants or the Saint-Martin market with its Baltard style architecture.