93 rue de Crimée - 75019 Paris
Buttes-Chaumont - Belleville
This protestant parish from the 19th century, which was in a state of neglect in 1918, was acquired by the Orthodox Church on the Saint-Serge celebration day. This is how it got its name. Before the war, it welcomed numerous German emigrants who, after the revolution of 1917, then gave way to Russian refugees arriving in Paris.
Located in the Buttes-Chaumont district, the church is protected by an island of greenery. Outside, passersby can admire the porch, finely crafted out of stained wood. The inside of the church was decorated by the Russian painter, Dimitri Semionovitch Stelletsky, in a Russian neo-gothic style. The church also has outbuildings: a library with a significant collection of Russian books and works in French, Greek, Serbian, German, and especially English - overall there are more than 35,000! There is also a library with numerous religious works focusing on orthodoxy. Finally, there is the Institut de Théologie Orthodoxe Saint-Serge à Paris, the only academic establishment in the world to offer lessons in orthodoxy in French.
Official guide: M. Milane. All visits must be booked beforehand by phone: +33 (0) 6 32 68 41 92
Visits are available with an official guide by appointment only.